Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Gift Arrived Down Under. . .

Many of you know that I have been working on a special gift for my friend, Dot, of Dot's Life and Art, in Australia. I finally received word that her gift survived it's journey and arrived! I did share some sneak peek pictures in a prior post, but am delighted to share what I've been working on for awhile. Dot wanted to do a Dotee swap with me ages ago...longer than I care to admit! She has patiently waited a long time and I wanted to do something extra special for her.

I started with the Dotee doll! As I began to pull fabric and beads to begin...all of a sudden I froze! I have made 17 Dotee dolls before, but I seriously realized that I was stitching a Dotee for *THE* Dot and I knew in my heart that it better be special and unique. I decided that it definitely needed to have a bird! So I cut a little bird out of Ultrasuede. I used vintage opaque black seed beads...16/0 for the eye and 18/0 for the body. I used vintage green matte iridescent seed beads on the leaves and lots of 2 mm amethyst Swarovski crystal beads for the flowers. Her hair is loaded with green leaf beads and amethyst flower beads with Swarovski crystal beads in the center and a Swarovski butterfly bead near the flowers. Her hanger and tail are amethyst 4mm and 6mm Swarovski bicones with a sterling silver bird charm hanging at the end. All pictures are clickable to enlarge.

She had her photo shoot outside on a beautiful day and she is hanging from one of my hanging flower baskets.

Here is a close up of the little bird and one side of the charm. I love the saying!
Here is the embroidered back and the other side of the charm!

I made a brooch/pendant from a Czech glass butterfly button. It is lacy glass and 1-1/16". It is iridescent blue/purple with a dash of pink, has a silvered mirror back with gold lustered butterflies. I used beautiful vintage facet cut blue beads with a purple luster that went perfectly with the button, vintage gold lined clear beads and new 15/0 seed beads.

I knew I wanted to bead a small doll for Dot too. In looking through my doll forms, I spotted the perfect one. It is my most favorite art doll form that Monica makes, although I love them all! But what was so perfect is that it was orange fabric with *dots*! ~wink~

When I started to teach myself to bead embroider in 2005/2006, I fell in love with a beaded face that I kept seeing. It was started by Gabe Cyr and she taught it to Anne Hesse (doll makers). So I bought the instructions for "No Rules Face Beading" by Anne Hesse. I have wanted to bead a face for years now and haven't taken the time. Well, I realized it was time and would be great for this doll. The doll sits about 5-1/2" tall and her face is about 1-1/2". Her face is pretty small and I knew to get good detail I needed to use small beads. So I decided to use my vintage 16/0 seed beads for her face. The only new beads were the gold bugle beads for her eyelashes. I started bead fringe for her hair but got worried that she may topple backwards from the weight of it when done...so I restarted again with beaded loops and short hair. I beaded her hair and body with 15/0 seed beads and matte black sequins. I used vintage beads for bosooms...thought she needed a bit of a feminine touch. I had so much fun beading this doll..she turned out a bit funky and wild...but I really like her! I don't know what it is about beaded art dolls...but they really turn my crank...I just love them!


Here is a close up of her face...

As I started finishing her, I knew she needed one more thing...a beading tray. I was intending to have her hold the beading tray in her lap and stitch it to her hands or leg. But when I finished it, I felt it just covered up too much of her body and took away from the charm of her crossed legs. So her beading tray sits before her instead.

I painted a wooden matchstick box black and then cut out a pattern to line it with. I cut some black Ultrasuede and stitched Dot's name and added some beads to the front. Then I cut out a piece for the inside of the box and beaded little piles of beads and a *tiny* little bird...representing one of Dot's famous little beaded birds. I used vintage 18/0 seed beads. I included a needle threaded with Fireline beading thread.


Here is a shot looking down into the beading tray...


And, here is a final side shot of her...


I've been learning to run my sewing machine again and have tried two different bird patterns to begin with. I thought they would be fun to bead or embellish. So I've stitched and stuffed a little flock of birds and have another batch cut and ready to sew too. It has been fun and refreshing to work on something a bit different and get the feel for sewing again.


It was such a pleasure to stitch up some love and smiles for Dot! She is a sweetheart and has been an inspiration to me for a long time!!! Did you hear the latest that the girls (Dot and Amelia) have been published in the new issue of Stuffed?!! It is such exciting news and she's so deserving!

Now it's back to working on the BJP, beading up something for the Pink Artists Drawing Part 2 and starting on another gift. My blueberries are calling me too...they are loaded this year and I want to get some picked to freeze before the birds get to them this year! :)

Here are a few snaps from our yard...

Campanula Gomerata Clustered Bellflower...

Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly...
Beautiful brown dragonfly...

Hope you are all well and enjoying all that summer has to offer...~Lisa

22 comments:

Elizabeth said...

WOW!!!

You have been very busy. Just love the way you talk about all these tiny beads. It is a pleasure to read how much fun you had and the learning process that flows with you. Did an excellent job. I think Dot was very pleased when she received the dotee with the beautiful bird.

Well done girl.
Have a great summer.
Elizabeth

3rdEyeMuse said...

holy smokes!!! where to begin ... *sighs* ... Dot has to be beside herself-over the moon-absolutely thrilled by the decadent goodies that you sent ... WOW!! I am speechless by both dolls - so intricate ... GORGEOUS!!

blueberries?!? in your yard? mhmm ... definitely have a little envy happening over here. :)

you, my friend, are AMAZING!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

What a lovely post, the 'first' Dotee doll is beautiful, thanks for the close ups, love the bird and the colour scheme you have chosen. BFN. Lesley

Dot said...

My dearest, most special friend Lisa..I adore the Dotee doll and the tribal doll you created for me! And Michelle from 34dEyeMuse is spot on when she said I would be beside myself with joy. As I am SO thrilled with what you have created for me.
And touched beyond belief that you would create such special art for me. I will treasure my Dotee doll and wild woman doll for ever. They are gorgeous, gorgeous , gorgeous! Your beading is exquisite and the quality of beads you use is exquiste too.
Wish I could come over there and help pick some of those blueberries (and eat them too).
Much love
Dot xx

Holly Loves Art said...

Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful work. I am in awe of your craftsmanship! Well, no one deserves it more than our darling Dotee. I know personally how worthy she is of such treasures... because she has such a kind heart too. Thank you for sharing your lovely work with all of us!

All my best,

Holly

Timaree said...

Great post. You made two great dolls for Dot. I'm sure she thinks they are special too. A beaded doll beading - that takes the cake. You ought to get an award of some kind for that! Love that face of yours.

Great photos of the flowers and butterflies. I have never seen anything like that brown one before.

Jacky said...

What truly special dolls you have created for Dot...I have so enjoyed taking in all of the beautiful beading and details. The beaded face is just amazing!!! Very special treasures for Dot and I know she loooooves them.

Your garden looks beautiful. I love the brown dragonfly.

girlgonethreadwild said...

AND sew it ARRIVED!!

Dot wrote me just yesterday to say SHE WAS ABOVE THE MOON about her gift and YOU for creating these beauties for her!!!

So befitting (I almost said BESITTING) to have a dotted doll for DOT.. and I had to laugh when you wrote THE DOTTEE was intimidating you when it came to making a DOTTEE doll.. so hilarious as YOU make the most beautiful creations QUEEN LISA and Dot LOVES THEM CLEARLY!

As recipient of one of oyur beaded lovelies.. I KNOW the feelings she must be EXPERIENCING!!

thank you for the glimpses into that BIG heart of yours!

thank you for shining your light so bright in blogland.. I have to add that your p-graphy skills are MAD GOOD!!!

Have a nice, relaxing day/weekend my friend.. you earned it!

xo, moi

girlgonethreadwild said...

Plz Xcuse the typos.. I get so Xcited, I don't read back to check my ewrrors.

beadbabe49 said...

oh, lisa...your work is just beautiful...the dolls for dot, the many pieces you've made and given away to raise money for important causes, your photography and your amazing garden...and your talent for giving just the right gift at just the right time...it's such a pleasure to me to know you...
many, many hugs

Micki said...

Your work is just breathtaking!
Micki

Lisa Crone said...

Oh my gosh! You are such a giving and wonderfully talented artist!! Your writing is a joy to read and the photos of your work are wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Your dolls are wonderful! What a labor of love!

Cathie said...

Holy Cow! Lisa, Lisa, Lisa - these are the most beautiful dolls. The first doll is perfect with the colors, and the leaves and the bird - but the "dotted" doll for Dottee OMG! She must have just melted when she saw it. What an amazing talent you are - I truly believe you don't have an ounce of ego as you don't know how spectacular your art really is.
I must mention the photography of the dolls also - you are really getting good with your camera and your photographic "eye." These pictures couldn't show off the dolls any better. They are vivid and the natural background colors just make those dolls come to life.
Finally - the birdies - love love love them. Love them as they are - but will love them even more when you work your magic.
YOU - are an inspiration to us all.
XO
PS I showed the dottees to Sabrina and she went NUTS - particularly over the dotted doll witht he little beaded bird in the box. :)

The Lone Beader® said...

I love the beaded face on the orange doll! :)

Patti G. said...

Lisa, I saw your creations on Dotee's page and just had to come for a visit! JUST AMAZING beadwork and fantastic character in your stitching and sweet dolls! AMAZING Really! Just great! Love the wildlife too on your blog, from the squirrels to the dragonfly. :0)
You can see a BLACK squirrel on my blog a few posts back if you have never seen one. He visist us here in WI! :0) Anyways, your artwork is fabulous and your home, flowers and all look super! Have a great day!
Hugs,Patti

JennyTheArtist said...

wow, your beading is absolutely fabulous!!!!! I know exactly what you mean about making a dotee for "THE DOT" it can be nerve wrecking. I've made well over 200 dotees and it was a challange for me, as well.
If you're up for it & have time, I would LOVE to swap dotees with you. I put as much time and effort into mine as you obviously do, too.
check out my past dotees here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennytheartist/sets/72157613629820183/
ps: I'm a new follower of your blog <3

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Hi

I saw your beautiful creations on Dot's blog and hopped right over to see more of your work. I love your work and style I had just had to tell you so!

Have a great weekend, best wishes, Carolyn

Beady Zoo said...

Lisa! The dolls and brooch are exquisite! So much detail, so many teeny, tiny beads, and so much love and creativity you've invested in these creations. I love the recurring bird theme and execution. Excellent work (now I know why you need readers!) -- Kathy

Lynn said...

Lisa - your caring heart is bigger than any I know. I wish you could have hidden a camera in that box to see Dot's face when she opened these lovelies.

Your first attempt at a beaded face is spectacular! I love her - she is so full of spunk.

Caterina Giglio said...

lovely work! and are those doxies on your lap???

Unknown said...

I like to see what's new
also and I just love to find someone showing how something is done!Thanks for the links to such great blogs.

--
Venus
You cannot go wrong on the

best security systems